Friday, June 9, 2017


A while back, I posted my 100 black and white pieces and showed some that didn't work.  I decided to play around with correcting some of the things that bothered me.

I chose this piece to revise.  I am bothered by the way the piece divides right up the center and its lack of dominance or focus.

Those more tech savvy would no doubt make changes in Photoshop, but for the sake of saving about 100 hours of extra work trying to figure out how to do that, I decided to make copies and revise with paint on the copies.  I was trying to stick with the original black and white, but my paint appears much more bluish and cream on the copies.  Anyway.

I wanted to tackle the problems one by one.  On this first piece, I tried to move the part that went right up the center.  It does help, but the two vertical elements still compete for attention.

I tried to take out the center piece altogether and enlarge the egg shape to make it more dominant.  This threw off the balance, and I needed to add a little line work on the right side to help it out.

Finally, I took out the egg shape altogether, kept the element right up the center but emphasized it more. The central element was too weak on its own, so I added quite a bit more to the right side.

This exercise was like trying to work with a bunch of puzzle pieces.  If I move one thing, something else might fall apart.  It's fun to rework the same piece and see what the possibilities are.

No comments: