Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Out With the Old

While I was somewhat sad to finish up my 2016 stitch project, I am nothing but happy to have the 2017 one done.  I struggled with this one more, mainly because of the silk thread I used throughout it.  It tangled and snagged, and I spent way too much time trying to smooth it back down.  Lesson learned.  I also felt restricted by the composition in this one and started getting bored with it towards the end.  But I am happy I stuck with it and finished it.

Here's the December part.  I was not planning on using red and green as that seemed so...Christmasy, but it wanted to appear anyway.






I did feel good when I finally laid each month out together and got to see the whole thing.  Things always look better in lots of multiples.  I was surprised it turned out so colorful.  I thought I had a lot more neutrals in it.








I like the idea of it joining together in a long piece that somehow is displayed on spools, but for now I have to put both of these projects away and look at them fresh later.

Now I'm pondering the next stitch project.  I've been having such a hard time coming up with something for 2018 that I'm wondering if it means I don't want another year long project.  But I do like having something I do daily.  I showed this in my art group meeting, and one of the members, who also happens to be a therapist, asked me an interesting question-- "How has it changed you to work on something daily like this?"  I do think it changes you.  Partly it's having just a wee bit of structure, deadline, commitment to myself everyday.  It's almost like a little bit of self-care and a way of honoring my quiet time each day.  It also was very useful for keeping me present and aware of all the marks and lines around me as the seasons shift.

I do have ideas now for more handstitching in 2018, so I think I will just start something and see if it evolves into a yearlong project or not.

My new guidelines are:
1.  No silk thread!
2.  Room for compositional experimentation.
3.  Easily portable.  It has to fit into a ziplock bag.
4.  Not too many choices, limited materials.
5.  Only recycled materials or things I already have.

Happy New Year!

2 comments:

Suzanne Reynolds said...

It's great seeing your stitched pieces together. Really love the colorful impact! Will be fun to see what you do for this year. My poor sewing machine hasn't been used much in the last year since I want to hand stitch everything.

Robin Olsen said...

I know just what you mean Suzanne! I keep thinking about sewing something by machine, but always end up handstitching again. It's just so easy to pick up anywhere.