Monday, December 15, 2008

Party time

Every year my art group celebrates with a wonderful holiday party.    We have 25 members in our group and always have close to a full turn out for this event.  This year one of our members, Maggie, and her partner, Susan, bought a grand, historic mansion that they are renovating, and they welcomed us into their home.   It's becoming a spectacular place right before our eyes.  They are managing to keep the historic quality of the building, while adding their own artistic flair, as seen in the new kitchen with red cork floors, creamy yellow cabinetry, and a huge red chandelier in the middle of the room.

Our party always includes a very tasty potluck lunch with lots of desserts.  It culminates in our gift exchange.  A month before the party we draw names and then make or give each other an art-related gift.  I was thrilled to draw Lenall's name this year because she shares my taste for funky fiber art and adores the color red.   I think of Lenall as having a very big heart, so this is what I came up with for her:



The heart is stuffed and about 12" long.   I used the crazy graffiti techniques I've been playing with in my "What-If's".  A close-up:


Lorraine drew my name and gave me this wonderful assortment of art materials, custom designed to my palette and interests!  It's the sort of gift that immediately gets the wheels turning as I think about what I'd like to do with them:



It's really fun to see what everyone comes up with and how well-suited they are to the recipient's interests, from delicate jewelry, to dreamy handmade books, to boxes of rusty metal things.  Art friends give the very best gifts!

1 comment:

Veleta (Sammy) said...

love your heart! Got to try one for me....