Friday, September 8, 2017

Vessels

I've never been much of a collector, well art supplies and fabric excluded of course.  I don't like to shop, and I really don't like many things around my house.  So I had to laugh at myself when I looked around the room recently and saw I had about a dozen vessel shapes all around me.  Some are functional like vases for flowers or bowls that collect little crap.  But many are definitely things I've collected.

There are the little vases that friends gave me.


 And the bamboo bowls I lugged all around New York City, only to find the exact things in Portland a few weeks later.

A little black and white vase I fell in love with in Columbia.


 And this great painted bottle done by Portland artist Trina Hesson.


I found these wonderful yarn balls at a senior center sale.  Each one was carefully rolled and marked with its own price tag of 5 or 10 cents.  How could I not get them and put them in their own special jar?


But if you asked me what I collect, I'd say nothing.  

I guess it's no surprise that I turned to vessels for my black and white series.  Here's the latest called "Escape."


"Escape", acrylic on paper, 12"x12"

No comments: