Friday, April 28, 2017

A Series Develops

It's been really interesting to see how series develop for me.  I started this one in response to posting all the blue and gray pieces of my "Breathing Space" series.  All I knew in the beginning was that I wanted some fresh, cheerful colors and wanted to set them against gray or black.  

I was in my Nia dance class one day and heard a happy song that seemed to fit the mood of my painting.  After that I started to pay attention to the lyrics in class, and a phrase would jump out at me that fit a painting perfectly.  This series is very much about those cheerful moments that rise up out of the bleaker times.  When I'm in a dark mood, I almost always get pulled out of it instantly when I start dancing in Nia.  

One of my favorite, and one of the most uplifting songs we dance to, has these lyrics:
"Everything's gonna be all right now
How do I know?
Because that's the seed I sow."  (It sounds much better set to music!)
There's my title.

"That's the Seed I Sow", acrylic on paper, 11x14"