Saturday, June 13, 2009

Poppies

It's one of those periods when I'm just trying to keep my head above water. Both my boys have birthdays at this time, and with end of school parties, that means more teens and pizza than I want to see for a long time. But it will soon end, and I will eagerly enter the lazy days of summer.

I just finished up work for an article on using my prompts to create spontaneous pieces. I first wrote about that here.
This is part of the latest piece in that series. I adhered more closely to the prompts in the first pieces, and now am interpreting them a little more loosely. The first prompt I drew for this one was "Do black and white doodles and fill in with color." I had a black and white fabric that looks like doodles so decided to use that as a starting point. I filled in with colored embroidery and fabric towards the end of the piece.

Next I drew, "Add a print." I found the almost abstract print of poppies on sheer fabric and that became the focus of the whole piece. Next "Add circles." You see some of them here; some are cut off. Then "Add single line stitching." I used that to anchor down brown silk triangles. And finally, "Add something ugly." I had some flesh color cheesecloth that seemed to fit the bill.

It's been great fun letting go and designing this way. I'm never quite sure where the piece is headed, but it's a lot of fun along the way.

I'm not sure if the article is going in Quilting Arts or Cloth, Paper, Scissors. I'll give you more details as soon as I have them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

this looks great - now i know what to do with my stash of flesh coloured cheesecloth :). its a great idea using prompts like this.

Leigh said...

Can't wait to see the article. I am so glad I got to see this in person. Wonderful work and inspiring!

jude said...

i like this!