Friday, March 9, 2018

Painting Immersion

The best way to learn a language is to immerse yourself in the culture and practice 24 hours a day.  I'm wondering if that is the best way to learn painting.  It seems to be what I have signed on for lately.  I'm continuing with Nancy Hillis's Studio Journeys.  This month we are looking at value.  That's something I tend to think about quite a bit already, so I think the exercises will just be incorporated into what I already do.  There are some new areas I would like to play with this month in value shifts and dominance. 

Next week I head up to Whidbey Island for a 4 day painting workshop with Joan Fullerton.  I'm looking forward to a new approach and to be surrounded by lots of water.

And I'm continuing my very deep dive into painting with Nicholas Wilton.  The first two weeks of the program have not involved painting at all.  Instead we've been exploring our inspirations, our desires, and our personal art history.  All of this is foundational to what the heart of the program is about--painting with your own authentic voice.  I am so curious where this journey is going to take me.  I have seen people's work change dramatically from the program, but I can't envision where mine will go.  And I find that strangely thrilling.

Here are a couple paintings from this week, working on light and fresh.



I'll be up in WA next week, so won't be posting on my blog.  I hope to still get some pieces up on Instagram though.

No comments: