Friday, November 10, 2017

Dusty Rose

Sometimes when I'm uninspired, I like to browse through SCRAP, our creative recycling center, or the Goodwill Bins and see what jumps out at me.  I was hoping I might find the perfect pile of wool strips to start rughooking, but that was not to be.  Instead I found a pile of cheap, very sturdy, flashcards, unlike the awful new index cards which are about the weight of binder paper.

They are perfect for small collages, and I wanted a quick project.  Recently my 17yo niece said her new favorite color combo. is black, white and dusty rose.  Dusty rose?  I hadn't thought about that since the 80s when all you saw was dusty rose and country blue.  I didn't like it then, so I was curious how I would like it now.

I pulled a bunch of my black and white painted and marked papers, some found papers, and ones in shades of dusty rose, peach, pink.  Not surprisingly, I had almost no dusty rose in my stash.  I challenged myself to work very quickly and intuitively, sometimes pulling papers blindly and trying to make them work together.  It was a lot of fun and got me going again.



Sometimes I let the word on the flashcard show through.



 Sometimes I added paint to try to get more dusty rose.








 And sometimes I liked it just the way it was and couldn't bear to add pink.


I also found this perfect index card holder for $1.  I love the thought of a whole box full of mini collages in different color palettes.


So did I come around to dusty rose?  Blush yes, hot pink yes, but dusty rose--bleh!

2 comments:

Suzanne Reynolds said...

Ha! I was one of those dusty rose/country blue offenders at one time. Yeh, what was I thinking?? lol I think you pulled off a dynamic color combo there...not a retro rose. Great collage! It made me think of Brandon's looks for fashion week on Project Runway. Are you watching? That pink flamingo fabric he's using in his collection. Love! Anxious to see your rug hooking when you get started. Have you tried the Mill End store for wool scraps?

Robin Olsen said...

OK I confess--I had my share of country blue geese decor. LOL. I'll watch the latest PR tonight. Now you have me really curious. Flamingos don't seem to go with Brandon's style at all, but I think he's a genius. The rug hooking has went way on the back burner where it should probably stay. But if I get the urge this winter, I will head over to Mill End. Thanks!