Friday, February 3, 2012

Pilot Parallel Pens


I really like the line variety that dip pens give, but they are a little scary to take out sketching in public. I've been experimenting with a bunch of different pens trying to find something that gives nice line variety but can be thrown in a purse.

I'm really excited about the Pilot Parallel Pens. They come in different nib sizes and have replaceable ink cartridges that come in different colors.

This nib is the 3.8mm, about 1/4" wide:

I think it's my favorite--I used it on this bouquet and like the irregular line.

They don't have waterproof ink though, at least I haven't been able to find any. This was black ink, but when I put watercolors on top it bled a beautiful purple color. I love the effect.

This sketch was done with a smaller Parallel pen, 1.5mm, and the black ink bled gray on this one. Not sure why they differ.

I'm always trying for a looser, sketchier look in sketching, and these pens help me give up some control.

3 comments:

Jacky said...

Lovely to see your sketching....yes the dip pen would be a bit difficult to take out and about sketching.
I havent seen the Pilot Parallel pens but my favourites are Artline Drawing System pens (0.2 and 0.5), I love them. And I also like the brush end pitt pens. Both of these are waterproof.
Gorgeous sketches, love that 'loose' look

Jacky xox

Dee / Cloth Company said...

the looser look is working with the bouquet.. I like the freedom of the lines

donnamcm said...

I've started drawing with the 1.5 parallel and I emptied one of the pilot cartridges, refilled with it with Platinum Carbon Ink. Now I have waterproof ink in my parallel and I am learning to love the line variation it can yield.