Monday, March 21, 2011

Wrapping up Pamela Allen class


I'm finally finishing up my lesson #3 from my Pamela Allen class. This one was about using stripes and patterns to accent design and also about steering away from pure bright color. It was a fun one, and a great wrestle with composition to work with so many bits, but I've pretty much decided that pictorial pieces are not my style.

Here's my first attempt. I was thinking about little Mexican villages that are these burst of color in the middle of drab surroundings. I wasn't trying to be very accurate, thus the peaked rooftops that you wouldn't find in Mexico.

Here is Pamela's revision. She recommended opening up the front for more space around the church and building a wall around it.


I made a number of changes and still see other things I would do differently (change the too busy house in the background, put the stained glass window shape back in), but I've lost my steam on this one and ready to move on.

Pamela is teaching more online classes this year and has now listed some on her website. I highly recommend them!

Over on Portland Art Collective, Tammy is giving away one of her beautiful Victorian tassel dolls, all dressed for spring. Leave a comment here to enter.

5 comments:

deanna7trees said...

i love the colors you used in this piece. i passed on this class since i haven't even finished the pieces from the last class i took with pamela. she is an excellent teacher but i've taken a different path.

Jacky said...

Fantastic classes...I love what you have done this time around with Pamela.
I have been over to the website and forwarded her an email. Would love to take a class with her.

Your work is amazing Robin, inspiring. I love the fabrics you have chosen for the buildings and that brick fabric is great!

Thanks for sharing with us all.

Jacky xox

Suzanne Reynolds said...

Well, I love the way you do pictoral compositions; nice colors and can really get the feel of the Mexican village.

Herm said...

you have done beautifully!!! love the Mexican village, make me homesick -- yes, i like the stained glass window shape back in

Dreamcicle Journeys said...

It's neat to see how you changed your fabric composition after Pamela's comments. It reminds me
of Oaxaca and all the beautiful colors there.