Monday, February 2, 2009

Black and White Exercises


I've been working through some design exercises in Jane Dunnewold's Finding Your Own Visual Language book.  This one is on splitting shapes.  You start with a basic shape (I chose a leaf) and cut it into sections.  The goal is to put all the pieces back together, thinking about negative space, and keeping the overall shape of the original.

For the first page, I split the leaf using only straight lines:



For page 2, I split it using only curved lines:

And then finally I did a page that combines straight and curved lines:


I'm now carving some of my favorite leaves into stamps.

The book has many fun design exercises.  You can find it here.

2 comments:

Paula Hewitt said...

this is an interesting exercise - i can see lots of great shapes for stamps

Threadspider said...

It's a rich vein of design possibilities you have found here. Fascinating how the shapes seem to become "lighter" when they are divided.